Monday, October 18, 2010

Okay... a totally silly photo that I love. This is little N's uncle R after she put flowers behind his ears.


We had one of our usual football season weekends... as much football as we can squeeze into the days. Our Ducks were on their by... so we skipped around to watch the competition get beat and to scope them out .
As you know, Saturday is college football day and that leaves NFL for Sunday. Neither of us have a particular NFL team, but we know those we do not support. Kind of a weird way, but it works for us.


Hey... thanks Badgers for knocking those Buckeyes down!


A funny thing happened on our local news channel. The sports guy was talking baseball and mentioned that our head newscaster liked the Yankees.
But when the camera went back to the newscaster, he said very clearly and deliberately
"I am not a Yankee fan, have never been a Yankee fan and will never, never be a Yankee fan. I'm a Red Sox fan!"
I happened to be in the bedroom and Randy was in the living room... I could hear him laughing at my agreeing woot.
When I came out he said "So I'm guessing that Rick (news guy) is your new best friend?"
Yep. That's about right. I'm not the only left coast Red Sox fan.


Which brings us to last evening. I found a couple more fans.
Randy is not a baseball fanatic, but he enjoys the games with me when I can see them and is endlessly amused by my responses to the Yankees.
I tend to go by the saw "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and in that spirit, I always root for whoever plays against the Yankees as a point of honor.


Randy has been wanting me to meet his friends N and M.
Last night they came over for burgers.
We ended up rooting for the Phillies, among other things.
When they arrived, M and I went to the store for buns and brews.
Now, I do not easily make friends with other women.
Its not that I dislike them, it just doesn't seem to happen.
I don't do girlie things. I like science, history, politics and some sports.
But by the time we got back from the store... I do tend to yak...
we discovered that we had tons in common.
Later, I found out that I have tons in common with N, her hubby, who is into great music and we danced through the same circles back in the days of Miss Bliss. Like Randy, N and I were likely in the same places at the same time... out there in the crowd, on many occasions.
They did not leave until 2:00 AM.


I was expecting a quiet weekend without a Duck game.
I could not have been more wrong. Lots of cheering, great games all around and good company.

I'm fresh back from an interview at a craft store.
It would be a good job for me. In fact, its only about 6 blocks away so I can walk to and from work. I think the interview went well, but they have to do my background check and will call me in about a week.
I also popped my head into the liquor store this weekend... and the gal seemed pretty pleased to see me. She said they needed to keep it open for another week, but she winked at me.
I hope she wasn't flirting.

Big grins everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Ooh! That sounds very promising! Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. secret agent woman-- I certainly will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, was she too young for you? :-)
    Um, ahem, Red Sox fan here. Really. Grew up in RI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela-- Hahaha! Yay another fan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am now rooting for Texas by default :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the whole background check thing. Not that a certain amount of it doesn't make sense. Obviously, they don't want people to empty the register or something. Still, in some lines... what? Are you going to embezzle a bunch of beads, a few yards of felt?

    I especially like it when I go into a supermarket or a Wal-Mart and see the signs that "We conduct pre-employment testing." Yep, if you're going to stand at the door repeating "Welcome to Wal-Mart," you'd better be drug-free, pal.

    I dunno. I'd think a little buzz might be helpful there.

    Ah. I'm just rambling. Good luck with those. Something usually beats nothing. Sometimes, jobs like that can be pleasant. Show up, do your thing, go home. No homework, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being married to Mr. Cube for 28 years and his rabid Red Sox family, I can tell you that I've heard every Yankee slur ever uttered. I give back as good as I get, but it's all in good fun.

    I must admit that the year the Red Sox won the World Series I was actually happy for them.

    As far as the job hunt goes, I wish you luck and I hope you get what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW how in the world did you get Uncle R to pose with the flowers? Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cricket-- I do agree that sometimes you need to do them. But most times its a waste of money in my opinion.
    People seriously into drugs find ways around the drug tests and no one is dumb enough to use a place they are known for stealing from as a reference are they?

    My favorite silly one was the one that wanted to know what junior high school I went to. To be a cashier in a 7-Eleven type store!
    I didn't get that job. Do you suppose they heard that my skirt fell off in middle school in front of everyone and they think I am a sleeze? ;-)

    You do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cube-- Oh, I know it's all in fun on this side too. :-)

    I just took a quick shot and got lucky with uncle R. When I looked at it in the camera I immediately thought of SNL's "Goat Boy" and that's why it makes me laugh so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you made some great new friends this weekend. That's the best :-)
    I think working in a craft store would be great fun! The liquor store one sounds pretty positive, too. Good stuff all around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i used to be a red sox fan until their payroll went through the roof. now i like the rays because joe madden is my favorite manager.

    right now i'm pulling for the rangers because they have the lowest payroll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck on the job hunt. It sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Goat Boy comes to my mind too, but in a more cerebral vein, "A "Midsummer Night's Dream" comes to mind. Either way, it's funny and blackmail material.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am definitely rooting against the Evil Empire. I was hoping Texas would finish them off tonight but didn't happen. Congrats on your Ducks being #1, and they better stay there because I will not be able to live in Boise if BSU gets the top spot. Good luck with the interviews and hope something pans out soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pic reminds me of one of those Greek/Roman gods in those Xena-type shows. The kind with salad behind their ears.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry i've barely been around...but as i catch up congrats to randy on his new job and congrats to you on being so warmly welcomed by N and her mommy. now fingers are crossed for the job at the craft store. hope it works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just making my weekly rounds and stopping by to say hi. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete