Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day

I have onlyone photo of my mother. Many of her exist, just not with me. No matter. This one is my ultimate favorite. Its not even a very good photo. You can see she has the same color silver hair that I now have (and actually have had for quite awhile). We don't have the same eyes. Both are brown, but hers were large and doe-like. Mine are ho-hum. We do not look much alike really, but there is something there that does make us look related.

Like I said, it's not much as photos go. She is sitting in a shaker rocker with then toddler, Squeaky on one knee and a homely, lanky Santa she picked up at a craft fair or flea market on the other knee. Squeaky is looking up into grandma's face and she is looking down into his. What I love about this photo is that look... absolute love, without condition, without fear of it ever passing away, love as solid as the earth we stand on that abides well beyond the day she died.

That look, is the face of the mother I remember. I don't need an Olan Mills studio shot of my mother. You would see how she looked. But in my little instant camera picture, in its dusty wooden frame, you see how she was.


Happy Mothers Day all you Mothers!

A quick aside: The lung reptile is slain, thanks to drugs and a wonderful bowl of virtual chili verdi!


I am in sanctuary... where else? I am being spoiled rotten. Its going to be a great day.

14 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely image and a great way to remember your mom. Happy Mother's Day to you, Ananda Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. laura b.-- Thanks! Happy Mother's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanctuary, spoiled rotten, sounds perfect. All you need now is one of R's burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish we could see the photo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo and memory. Good for you. And spoiling is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mo-- Funny you should mention that... yesterday we went to get a new supply of meat for that very thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suldog-- Its not with me here or I'd have scanned it and put it in. Maybe I can when I get back to Max's. I am here in sanctuary until Wed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamela-- Thanks. It has been quite some time since I have been treated so well. I like spoiling back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Looking through a photograph
    I found inside a drawer,
    I was taken by a photograph of you.
    There were one or two I know that you
    would have liked a little more;
    but they didn't show your spirit
    quite as true." -- Jackson Browne
    Glad you're well.
    Glad your Mother's Day was with Randy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mutual spoiling is the best! You deserve it. Happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No photo when I load the page.

    But good news on the lungs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peggy-- I love that lyric! Jackson Browne is wonderful isn't he?

    Yep. Randy took me to a nice, nice place. Boo and dabear both called and the other two didn't have minutes, but wished me well thru siblings. A fine day to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Churlita-- Thanks. I do agree. I hope you had a marvelous Mother's Day, because you are a fantastic mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. secret agent woman-- Yah, the photo is not there. It's on a wall at home
    219 miles away. Sorry about that.
    Thanks for the well wish... I hope you had a great Mom's Day with those fabulous boys of yours!

    ReplyDelete