Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Caprica


Okay. I am hooked. Are you?

The way this starts is a real tickler. Two men lose their daughters to a senseless tragedy.  That sort of thing is too big to fit in your head. So they are trying to find ways to cope with it.

An opportunity arises to be able to see their daughters again... in a virtual setting.  One man embraces the idea, the other is repelled.  "That is not  my daughter! She can't even feel her heart beat." 

Interesting question.  If I lost my child, would I find visiting with him or her in a virtual setting acceptable or would I be repulsed?  I know that answer because I know my self.  I would see my child any way that I could.

What would happen next?  I don't know.  Cylons, Pet Cemetery... does it ever turn out good to bring your child back from the dead?  Yet, I know that I would not be able to walk away without trying if there was an option.

So what do you think of Caprica?

10 comments:

  1. I hate the idea of it, but I'd probably do anything or give anything to see my child again in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. secret agent woman-- I hate the idea of it too, but I know I could never resist. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really getting into it. The whole thing of "this is a lot like our world, but different" thing has rough edges at times. The Taurons eat burritos, which must make them like Mexicans perhaps... but this is, what, 100,000 years before Mexico and burritos existed?

    Except for the character names, they usually do a pretty good job of covering up strong Earth-cultural things like brand names in ads, Earth ethnic foods, etc.

    The Zoe/U-87 character is more interesting than I thought she'd be. I expected Esai Morales to give a stronger performance that I have seen him give so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dmarks-- I am really loving it. I think it has the right blend of what becomes the future and what is in the past. Different enough, but similar enough too. Very cool beans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm too busy living my own life and keeping it in order to watch shit like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I don't watch much T.V. except Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba, but I guess the show sounds interesting. I wouldn't know what to do in that type of situation. The fathers can visit vitually with their dead daughters? Hmm, it does sound a bit morbid. But I think that if anything ever happened to my little guy, I would do anything to keep his funny, crazy, and lovey spirit alive. Just in order to keep my own sanity, whether or not it was real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dabear-- Hahaha... I'm more of a "Gabba Gabba Hey!" kind of gal, as you know well... but I recall putting up with enough GI Joe and My Little Ponies to gag a horse, so I hear that. And there isn't a one of you that I would not go all the way to hell to drag you home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the original BSG and I watched the new BSG. Liked them both for different reasons. Then the Caprica ads came along and I was repulsed from the get go. I didn't like the main characters, I didn't like the way they didn't know how to wear hats, and I didn't like the fact that I knew how it would end.

    Then I watched the pilot and then I watched the next episode and I started to warm to it a little bit. Just a little bit. The jury is still out on this bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cube-- I wasn't going to watch it, but then I was at DH's and he turned it on. I got hooked. Then I ask him the other night if he watched the new episode and he had not. Funny how that worked out.

    I don't know how to wear hats! I feel like I should, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete