Tuesday, June 30, 2009

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A BIG PEE-ER PEE? WEDNESDAY JULY 1.2009

I am very uncertain about this post. It is about a real incident in my life. However, I am not certain how it will make you folk feel. Be patient with me. Do not feel bad if you laughed at the title to this post... I laugh about it a lot. It's a joke in our house and a secret code for whack-o.



The day before I was to start my first year at Alexander Hamilton Junior High School, my friend, Diane and I decided to have a picnic on the lawn of the college that was only half a block from my house. I had been playing here for years. We rode our bikes through the open halls and on the maze of sidewalk. We played hardball on the lawn where Diane and I sat down to eat. It felt familiar and it felt safe.



We sat at the edge of what I considered right field next to a bed of shrubs. Diane had a Barbie lunch box and I had a brown paper bag. Diane was very girly-girl. I was tom boy to the nth degree. We were happily chatting about the big event… becoming young women.




Diane sat there demurely, long legs criss-cross-applesauce. She was about six feet tall then. I was about 4 foot 8. We made quite the pair. I’m wolfing down my food and she’s taking little tiny nibbles. Diane often tried my patience. This was looking like one of those days. The nibbles were pissing me off. Eat, damn it and let’s get this show on the road! I had things to do.



A man walked by on the sidewalk about ten feet away. I didn’t think much of this, but made a mental note that he existed. Conversation would be altered accordingly. A few minutes later the man walked back the other way. Was he dumb or lost? The next time he came back, he entered the shrubs next to us. This set off my odd behavior alarm.



“What are you looking for?” I demanded. He was annoying me.



“A bath… I mean, a rest… I mean the shit house… Do you know what a shit house is?” he replied.



I had heard kids swear plenty, but not adults. Not yet. Not at that age. I was a little shocked but damned if I was going to let him see! I rolled my eyes.



“The RESTROOM is that way… Go straight to the street and make a right. It’s where the pools are. You can’t miss it.” I pointed toward the street a few buildings behind me.



I’m pretty pissed at this point. Some guy talking like that to us! I look over and Diane is crying. She’s sitting there, criss-cross-applesauce, big fat tears running down her dumb cheeks. What the heck is that all about? I’m trying to puzzle this development out and the guy starts talking again.



“Do you want to show me? I don’t think I can find it.” He says.



I repeated my instructions and turned to Diane, who was blubbering for all she was worth.



“If you show me, I’ll show you my pee-er. It’s big. Have you ever seen a big pee-er pee?”



I flipped over from annoyed to furious. Stupid Diane sitting there blubbering and jerky Jim were too freaking much! I began to pack what was left of my lunch into my bag and barked at Diane to pack up hers too. She just sat there crying.



Behind me the guy is still talking and I know that he’s got his zipper moving down because I can hear it. I refuse to look in that direction. I am so mad I just want to slug someone… like Diane… who needs to wake the fuck up and get a move on NOW. All she is able to do is cry. So I stuff her junk in my bag, grab her hand and haul her to her feet. She’s like a reluctant dog on the end of a leash as I haul her to the street and down the sidewalk…a zombie that blubbers. I take her home.



You might think that the above is the significant part of this post. Not really. It is the catalyst to what troubled me for years upon years. Just the intro to the real damaging event.



When I knocked on Diane’s door and her mother answered it, she ordered me to wait in the living room. She took Diane, still sobbing, upstairs to put her to bed. She then called the police. Once that was done, she came to the living room to tell me off for taking her daughter to such a dangerous spot. Diane was not allowed to play at the college. Diane had never told me this, but I did not argue. The woman was mad. I sat rather uncomfortably and took the verbal barrage. She told me that I was a danger to her daughter and not allowed to play with her anymore.



When the cop knocked on the door, I was left to sit in my misery. I was an obedient child. I stayed put. The cop took a statement from Diane’s mother and never spoke to me or to Diane. Who knows what her mother said to him. Did she even know what the guy looked like? Did anyone care? Diane was not coherent enough to give any detail.



The cop left and I sat. I sat until it was dark and I knew that my mother would be worried sick. It was law to be in our home before the sun set. No exceptions. I gathered my courage and found Diane’s mother.



“What are you still doing here? This was all your fault! You go home right now… and you are not to mention this to anyone. Not to anyone! Do you understand me?” she shouted at me.



I said I did and made a hasty exit. Walking home was a terror. I had to pass the college and while I was angry when I’d left earlier, I was now truly scared. Diane’s mother had reacted so strongly that I was sure I’d been in great… and extremely shameful danger. I skulked through the bushes across the street to get past the college. The guy was long gone of course. He’d left the area as soon as we had or he’d have risked getting caught.



I was sent to my room without supper for being late. I offered no explanation for my tardiness. I was not supposed to tell anyone after all. I went to my room and tried to figure out what the hell had happened. It made very little sense to me, but you know adults were mysterious things.



I would be alright if I behaved and didn’t tell anyone. That was what the adult in the situation said to do. Adults were right. Adults did things to protect you. I listened to the adult. It became law in my head. I was never, never to tell. The message I got: It was okay for another person to abuse me in some manor as long as I did not tell. Besides, it was all my fault for going to such a dangerous place. That was the parting gift I picked up that day.



What she really did was rob me of something good I had going for me. She robbed me of that anger that told me that this was unacceptable behavior and I did not have to stand for it… that I should pack my crap up and get the hell out of that situation. I am not going to tell you examples of how this has affected my life. Only that it has... and that it is also the highest hurdle I have had to jump… to get that anger back where it belongs, protecting me.



If I could tell her now what I think, I’d say “I did the right thing, you dumb bitch… you should have thanked me and gotten me home safe. It was not my fault... it was the perv's fault. You sucked as the adult in that situation. You fucked up big time.”



As for the perv? I saw him again in high school. He was the husband of a teacher’s friend. He walked into the room where we were learning and did a quick turn back out of there. He knew my face as well as I knew his. I kept my mouth shut. I kept him safe. I wonder how many other little girls have Diane’s mother to thank for my silence?



Before you say it, allow me; Diane’s mother was upset and frightened. She was angry about what happened to her little girl. I understand that she was not thinking clearly.



But I also understand that she did not bother to tell my parents about what happened. That was wrong. We were not molested for heaven’s sake. We didn’t even get a peek at his big pee-er! She made a mountain out of a mole hill… albeit a nasty little mole hill. There was nothing shameful in what happened to us until she made it so.




That is the entire point of this post. Words have such magical powers! That mom hurt me more with her powerful words than the pervert. She laid a curse on me to feel powerless for years. Granted it was the actions of the perv that set it all in motion. He was the initial cause of all of it.



While words have the ability to curse us and damage us, they also have the power to heal. My curse was broken by ridiculously simple words spoken to me;



“That was a long time ago. You are a different person now.”



Magic.



It’s not always good enough that we know words are true. I knew them in theory. Sometimes we have to hear the magic said out loud.



I know that this is an uncomfortable subject matter. You are hereby released from the implied obligation of commenting, unless of course, you wish to. My thanks to you for letting me tell.

It's long overdue.



Tomorrow back to normal sane things.

30 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't spell - so let's try this again - I have thrown out a lot of careless words in my lifetime. Careless and angry words. I am taking this message to heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had this guy who worked at our school for a year, and he was always dropping pens and such so that he could make a big point of looking at our legs.

    He was a big joke. It annoyed us at first, but later it just became something to talk about. We were teenagers, and we were bored and now had a major subject for gossip. He wasn't doing anything except looking.

    And then one day he put his hands on one of my friends. She seemed very upset, though from what she told me he didn't even touch a very interesting part of her body.

    Later, she said that he did all sorts of things. That part I'm pretty sure she made up. She just liked all the attention she got from telling what actually did happen.

    A few days later, the same thing happened to me. Again, he didn't touch a very interesting body part, but it was very clear that he was thinking of doing more. I suppose that he didn't do more because there was someone in the next room who could have walked in on us, except that at the time I didn't know that she was there so I was very scared.

    So at the end of the week we went to tell the principle what had happened, and the other girl did not mention this other BS that she had told me, just what she told me the first time. And then I said pretty much the same thing had happened to me on a different day in a different room.

    And we were told that the situation would be handled, but we were not to talk about it.

    Later, this made me really mad. The guy was still there the next week. It was spring and he was there for the rest of the year. They didn't fire him. They didn't hire him for the next year, but we still had to see this guy for maybe another month.

    His wife was the first grade teacher at our school. Maybe she would have quit and they couldn't replace her.

    Still, we were told not to talk about it, like we were the ones who had done something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a very important message and I think parents today should be taking it to heart. Not only out in the great big world beyond the front door, but also in this online world. It seems that Diane's mother (and many other parents) was mad simply because she was put into a situation she wanted to shelter her daughter from. I wonder how screwed Diane is because of her mother's word. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. crazy4coens-- We have all done that. Especially in an emotional moment.

    BTW you have always been there for me, when I let be... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. laughingattheslut-- That is terrible!

    Schools are one of the worst places. Until very recently they were way more concerned about the school's reputation than they were about the children. That is changing, thank heaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aliencg--
    I think Diane already was screwed up or she wouldn't have just sat there crying. I think she was terrified because of things said to her about strangers.

    Thank you for your kind words and the support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane's mom sounds more traumatic than the perv, for sure.

    I hear a lot of accounts like Laughing's about schools, even in recent years. And the Catholic Church does this on a large scale, too. With the lawsuit problem, they are a little better, but there are still a lot of sexually-assaultive priests who just get relocated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dmarks-- Yep.

    You are so right about the church!

    States are passing laws right now to forbid schools from covering stuff like that up. It's about time and how sad that you have to make a law to see the right thing happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is also too common in other situations where some people are in custody of others, such as sexual abuse of inmates by jail/prison guards, things that happen in group homes for the disabled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dmarks-- You're right. I read about that more and more these days. But that is sort of hopeful... that people are talking and they are getting caught!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate it when people blame the victim. It is so dangerous. It's such sad ignorance. Hopefully, it's something that's changing. If parents make it seem shameful, then kids will never feel comfortable telling an adult and getting it to stop and the bad person incarcerated.

    I'm sorry that happened to you and I'm glad you finally got your righteous anger back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Churlita-- Thank you. Me too! (Now I can let this and other things go.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blaming the victim only protects the guilty. I'm sorry about what happened to you both. Diane's mother's actions just made a bad situation worse. It's bad enough that she scarred her daughter for life, but to treat someone else's child like that is unconscionable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't want to shed any unwanted light on the story, but it sounds to me like there's a good possibility that Diane had been molested by someone else before the big pee-er incident. And her mom was covering it up.

    Just a thought. I could be way off base.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, you obviously know the most important part of the whole tale: Her mother was a dope and acted entirely in a wrong-headed fashion. You did the right thing, all around - that is, you got her daughter to safety and you obeyed her crummy adult commands. No blame to be handed out to YOU, my dear. You were exemplary, on all counts. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 3GirlKnight-- I had never thought of that. You may be right. She was a big town official and I think even the police report was on the sly. All very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suldog--Thank you. I don"t know about brave as much as pissed.You are very kind,sir!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A heartrending, though disturbingly apropos (re: Mr. Jackson) tale.

    Thank goodness you came out of it alright.

    And thank goodness that in this way, we have progressed over time to the point where such things will not be covered up any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Michael-- I think you are right. I think we are getting to that place. It's about time.

    This was a disturbing country to revisit. Cathartic though.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for posting this. I'm so glad you were able to lose the shame and regain the anger. It is crazy-making to think about how differently that whole thing should have been handled.

    ReplyDelete
  22. laura b.-- Thanks... you and everyone else for that matter have all been so nice about this. It is so greatly appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. All I know is, if it had been my daughter and her friend this whole thing would've progressed WAY more differently than this did. I'm sorry I wasn't on the scene, but your story makes me wonder about how many other complaints we'll never hear about. It's a depressing thought.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cube-- You're a good mom. I think stuff like this happened more than we want to know.

    3GirlKnight brought up a good point. It may have been that Diane had been molested prior to this and her mom was interested in covering it up. She was a local political figure. She was running for office at the time.

    But we do more for our kids now in regards to keeping them safe... school programs, it's a topic on TV, in books, etc.

    The one thing I did do right was raise the Bear to be strong, feel good about herself and to expect respect. I guess that's all any of us parents can really do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ALL-- This post is pretty much run it's course I think. Thank you all for your kind words.

    I did want to add a little something about Diane. I know that she was just a frightened little girl. But I wrote this the way that I felt at the time.

    Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ananda - thanks for saying that I have been there for you - and you for me, as well

    ReplyDelete
  27. crazy4coens-- Always always always. As long as I let you, you always have been. I will always be there too. You betcha, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sort of thing is far more common than you might imagine. I have had many, many patients who were silent about some abuse because they were told to keep their mouths shut. Sometimes that's even more damaging than the actual event. Makes me wonder what your friend's mother's history contained.

    ReplyDelete
  29. secret agent woman-- I could have sworn that I answered this , but I guess I thought what I wanted to write and didn't.

    I am sure that you are right. I have met so many like souls in my travels. :(

    ReplyDelete